Saturday, May 18, 2024
HomeBusinessOn the Path to Permanence: Marriage-Based Green Card Timelines

On the Path to Permanence: Marriage-Based Green Card Timelines

The time it takes to obtain a marriage-based green card in the United States can vary widely depending on several factors, including your specific situation, your location, and the current processing times. Here are some key steps and factors that can affect how long a marriage green card can take:

  • Marriage and Petition Filing: The first step is typically for the U.S. citizen spouse to file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS. Processing times for this step can vary, but it might take several months.
  • Priority Date: Once the I-130 petition is approved, USCIS will assign a priority date. This date is crucial as it determines your place in the queue for an immigrant visa, and it can impact the overall waiting time.
  • Visa Bulletin: Check the Visa Bulletin published by the U.S. Department of State. It provides information on when green card applicants in different categories (such as immediate relatives of U.S. citizens) can proceed with the next steps.
  • Adjustment of Status (I-485) or Consular Processing: Depending on your circumstances, you will either file for Adjustment of Status (if you are in the U.S.) or go through consular processing (if you are abroad). The processing times for these steps can vary.
  • Biometrics and Interviews: USCIS will schedule biometrics appointments and interviews. The time it takes to get these appointments can vary, and successful completion is necessary for approval.
  • Conditional or Permanent Green Card: If your marriage is less than two years old when you receive your green card, you’ll be granted conditional permanent resident status. You’ll need to apply to remove the conditions within the 90-day period before the conditional status expires.
  • Naturalization: After being a permanent resident for a certain period (usually five years, or three years if married to a U.S. citizen), you may be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship.

How can I expedite the marriage green card processing time?

Expediting the processing time for a marriage-based green card in the United States can be challenging, as USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) and the Department of State have specific criteria for expediting cases. You can request an expedited process in limited circumstances, and it’s generally not guaranteed. Here are some steps you can take to try to expedite the process:

  • Emergency Situations: USCIS may expedite a case if there are compelling emergency circumstances. If you or your spouse is facing a life-threatening situation or severe financial hardship, you can make a request for expedited processing. Supporting documentation, such as medical records, might be required to demonstrate the emergency.
  • Military Members: If the U.S. citizen spouse is a member of the U.S. military and has received military orders, you can request expedited processing. This includes situations where the military member is being deployed overseas.
  • USCIS Error: If the delay is due to a USCIS error or mistake, you can contact USCIS and request expedited processing to correct the error.
  • Aging Out Children: If the minor children of the immigrant spouse are about to “age out” (reach the age of 21) and lose their eligibility for derivative status, you may request expedited processing to prevent this.
  • NVC Expedite: If your case is at the National Visa Center (NVC) stage for consular processing, you can contact the NVC and explain the reasons for your expedite request.
  • Political Asylum or Refugee Status: If you have been granted political asylum or refugee status and need your spouse to join you, you may request an expedited process.

To request expedited processing, follow these general steps:

  • Contact USCIS or NVC: Depending on the stage of your application, contact USCIS or NVC through the appropriate channels. You can usually find contact information on their websites or in the correspondence you’ve received from them.
  • Explain Your Situation: Clearly and concisely explain the reason for your expedite request. Provide supporting documentation where applicable. Be prepared to demonstrate why your case should be considered a priority.
  • Follow Up: After submitting your request, be prepared to follow up with USCIS or NVC. They may request additional information or documentation to support your case.

Remember that the decision to expedite a case is at the discretion of USCIS or NVC, and they may deny your request. It’s essential to provide clear and compelling reasons for the expedite, and not all requests are granted. If your request for expedited processing is denied, you will continue to follow the regular processing times for your marriage-based green card application.


Most Popular